CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Eve Layered Pudding! :)


Just to start off with, this picture is NOT the recipe! Whoops, I dropped the pan that had the crust in it and it shattered all over my kitchen. *sigh* So I improvised. :)

My name is Yvonne and I was super excited Erin asked me to be part of her blog today. My oldest daughter, Aspen, was diagnosed with Celiac almost 3 years ago at the ripe old age of 1 1/2. That was a scary time, my baby was losing weight, looked like a starving child with stick arms and a huge distended belly. On the one hand, it was a relief to know what was wrong, but on the other hand it completely freaked me out at first, i went straight to panic mode of "what in the world am I supposed to feed my toddler? there is NOTHING." Erin was the only person at that point that I had ever known with Celiac so I contacted her and bless her heart, she emailed me recipes, tips, advice. The thing I remember the most that I have repeated over and over to people is this: "there is more she can eat than what she can't, so focus on what she can eat." That has made all the difference.

Now my sweet Aspen is 4 years old, healthy, strong, spunky. She is a complete joy and always makes sure things are gluten free before she eats them. She's great. :)

Ok, now on to our Christmas tradition. Every year we have a dinner of appetizers on Christmas Eve, then go on a night hike (if we're lucky, in the snow!!!)and then come back to devour this most delicious layered pudding that my mom has made since i was a kid. Its simple, its delicious, its chocolatey. What more can you ask for? And....its easily adapted to gluten free. I try to the majority of the time stick to things that are naturally gluten free, but this one was too good not to switch it up! Here is the delicious recipe:

Crust:
1/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup gluten free all purpose blend (I prefer JULES all purpose gluten free flour for this recipe www.julesglutenfree.com)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Blend flours and butter with pastry cutter until crumbly, stir in nuts. Place in a 9x13 pan and cook at 350 for 15-20 min, or until golden brown. This is what it looks like before going in, and be careful when taking it out that you do not burn yourself, drop the pan and shatter your favorite 9x13, along with all your hopes and dreams of a buttery and flaky crust for your delicious dessert....)


Cream Cheese Filling:
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softenend.
1 cup cool whip
1 cup powdered sugar

Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat together well. Spread over the cooled base. Let set in the refigerator for 30 minutes.

Pudding Filling:
2 small (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding
3 cups milk

Mix together in a bowl and stir until thickened. Pour over the cream cheese filling.

Topping:
Top with a layer of cool whip, then sprinkle with shaved chocolate and chopped pecans. Chill in fridge for several hours, or overnight. Cut, serve, enjoy! And then go on a night hike. :) Merry Christmas!!!

Or, if you are like me and ruin the base, you can layer it all pretty in a cute container and your adorable son can get into it while your back is turned and enjoy...

0 comments:

Post a Comment